Friday, July 27, 2007

WHY ARE FACES SO COMPELLING?


Few things are as compelling to look at as the human face. Not just portraits, but any human face, whether we know the person or not. We are drawn to magazine ads, cameo shots for the silver screen, and just about any kind of photo-shot that focuses on the human face -- especially if the face has a particularly interesting expression. Talk about body language; face language is totally absorbing. The language of the face is recognized not only by grown-ups, but by children, by infants, and by animals as well. Even my cat watches my face to try to understand my communications. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the face is so important to us? Has anyone read any studies about this? What do you think?

2 comments:

james Noriega said...

I love to watch what people say. In counseling, the only thing that helps me, is facial expessions. It's amazing the words out of our mouths can lie, but our facial expression could never lie. One more, in God's irony book

Dan said...

Thanks, James.
I will remember that. :-)